GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-09 > 1031676304

From: (Bryant Smith)
Subject: Re: Stuteville of Cottingham
Date: 10 Sep 2002 09:45:04 -0700

("Rosie Bevan") wrote in message news:<08be01c25653$7cf069c0$>...
Very interesting and useful! Thanks a million.
I have three questions, interspersed in the text below.

> [...]
> Glanvile et uxor ejus Berta, Matillis, Amabilis, Helewisa, Mabilia filae
> eorum, et Berct"]. On the death of her son Berta's property fell to Ranulf
> son of Robert of Middleham, Thomas de Arderne and Hugh de Auberville who
> each had a third of her lands in Bramham and Leyburn. All three were sons
> and representatives of the daughters of Ranulph de Glanville. Hugh d.1203,
> leaving son and heir Robert IV who died s.p.under age in 1205. William also
> had an illegitimate daughter.
> - Nicholas of Liddel, Cumberland. Succeeded his nephew, Robert IV in 1205.
> See below.
> - Osmund of Cowesby, Yorks. and Gressenhall, Norfolk.
> - Eustace of Brinklow, Warwickshire d.1218. His son and heir was Robert who
> was brought up overseas.
> - Robert of Great Ayton and Hemlington, Yorks.
> - Burga. Married to William de Vescy and had Langton as her maritagium,
> living as a widow in 1185.
> - Helewise. Married (1) William II de Lancaster, lord of Kendal d.1184 by
> whom she had Helewise (2) Hugh de Moreville of Burgh, Cumberland d. 1202 by
> whom she had Ada and Joan (3) William son of Ranulf, lord of Greystoke
> d.1209 by whom she had Thomas. In 1209 Robert de Vipont owed 500 marks for
> and 5 palfreys for the custody of the land and heirs of William and the
> marriage of his widow. Helewise died after 1228.
> [Sources: Keats-Rohan, 'Domesday Descendants'. p.724 ; Clay, 'Early
> Yorkshire Charters' v.8, p.5-15, 90, 95 ; Sanders, 'English Baronies: a
> study of their origin and descent 1086-1327', p.37]
>
> 4. NICHOLAS de Stuteville of Liddel. In 1174 he was in possession of Liddel,
> Cumberland when the castle was captured by William the Lion. In 1205 he made
> a fine of 10,000 marks for having his inheritance of everything William, his
> brother, held, except Knaresborough castle and Boroughbridge which was kept
> in the king's hands until the fine was paid. It was never paid and those
> properties passed from the Stuteville family. Nicholas married as his second
> wife Gunnora, sister and coheir of Ralph d'Aubigny, widow of Gilbert de Gant
> (d.1191). Gunnora's father was Ralph d'Aubigny, the elder, younger brother
> of William d'Aubigny 'Brito' of Belvoir. In 1197 a fine was made recognising
> their right to 15 knights' fees in Auborn and Binbrook, Lincs.and North
> Dalton, Upper and Lower Naburn, Yorks.as Gunnor's inheritance. An unknown
> first wife was mother of his sons Robert and Nicholas. Their relationship is
> established in a charter of notification by four witnesses who stated they
> were present when Nicholas de Stuteville and his sons, Robert and Nicholas,
> bound themselves to give 100s rent to Kedholme priory. Nicholas is presumed
> to be one of the confederate barons who met at Stamford at Easter 1216,
> captured at Lincoln on 20 May 1217 and dead by 30 March 1218.
> Issue
> - Robert V. Married Sibyl, daughter of Philip Valoignes, who 1192-1205 gave

I have a Sibyl de Valoignes m Ralph d'Aubigny (spell it any way
you like)parents of the Gunnora (m Nicholas) in your post here.
They can't be the same -- were there two Sibyls, or have I got
the one and only in the wrong place?

> him and Sibyl and the heirs of their bodies the vill of Torpenhow,
> Cumberland. In the lifetime of his father he received a knight's fee in
> Middleton which he was holding early in the thirteenth century. He was
> benefactor of Rosedale priory. He died v.p.before 27 Nov 1213 when Nicholas
> Stuteville was ordered to deliver Eustace, son and heir of Robert, to Saer,
> Earl of Winchester. Saer gave the custody of Eustace to his son Roger.
> Eustace was married to Nichola but died s.p. shortly before 18 Oct 1241 on
> crusade, and seisin of his lands was ordered to be given to Joan, wife of
> Hugh Wake.
> - Nicholas II. See below.
> [EYC ix p. 13-18,124 ; Stevenson. Liber Vitae, p.15]
>
> 5.NICHOLAS II de Stuteville. Recorded in the Pipe Roll at Michaelmas 1209 as
> Nicholas son of Nicholas. After the death of his father he administered the
> inheritance of his nephew Eustace. Married Dervorguilla, da. of Roland of
> Galloway, who brought an interest in Whissendine, Rutland to the family in

My Devorgilla is dau of Alan & grand-dau of Roland. The chronology of
a Devorgilla sister of Alan is a bit awkward. Was there a Roland brother
of Alan who was Devorgilla's father?

> frank marriage. Nicholas died shortly before 19 October 1233 at the priory
> of St Andrew, York. On 19 November 1233 the sheriff of York was ordered to
> take his lands which had belonged to him, including the manor of Cottingham,
> and to assign to Hugh Wake and Joan his wife, Nicholas' elder daughter and
> heir her reasonable share and seisin, and similarly to William Mastac the
> king's kinsman, to whom the king had given the marriage of Margaret, his

Do we know the kinship here?

> other daughter and heir.
> Issue
> - Joan. Eventually sole heir of her father, she was married to Hugh Wake
> before 29 May 1229 when Hugh was pardoned for having married her without the
> king' licence. On the death of her cousin Eustace de Stuteville in 1241, and
> having outlived her sister, she was sole heir to the Stuteville inheritance
> comprising Cottingham, Buttercrambe and Kirby Moorside (combined annual
> value of L660 p.a. in 1282) and the honours of Liddell Strength and
> Rosedale. Hugh Wake died on crusade in 1241 and on 2 Jan 1242 the king
> granted to Joan his widow the custody of all the lands to hold until the
> lawful age of the heirs, together with their marriage and licence to marry
> at pleasure, for a fine of 10,000 marks. Before Michaelmas 1244 she married
> Hugh Bigod, Chief Justiciar of England, by whom she was the mother of Roger
> Bigod who succeeded as earl of Norfolk in 1270. Joan died shortly before 6
> April 1276, her heir being her son Sir Baldwin Wake. By Hugh Wake, Joan also
> had Nicholas, Hugh and possibly Isabel.
> - Margaret. Married to William Mastac. She died s.p. shortly before 13
> November 1235.
> [EYC ix p. 18-23 ; Sanders, Baronies p. 129 ; William Brown, Yorkshire
> Inquisitions, v.1 p.237-253 ; CP XII/2 p.299]
>
> Hope this is of interest.
>
> Rosie
Sorry to bury my questions but your post is too valuable to
snip into pieces "most relevant."
Thanks
Saludos
Bryant Smith