GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-09 > 1031726083

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: Re: Danish Haralds in 9th century Frisia
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:36:42 -0500

Jack Brown wrote:

> In order that credit may be given where credit is due, permit me to
> mention that Mr. Moody is quite right when he mentions in this
> message that he had sent me a copy of this article by Professor
> Sawyer. Let me assure everyone on the list that Stewart Baldwin
> was unaware of my having received this from Mr. Moody and, in
> fact, I had forgotten it myself and have had to search back through
> my records to find that he not only sent me this article but also
> sent me an article by the late Dr. Nora Chadwick which, un-
> fortunately I am unable to locate at the moment.

PLM: Thank you for clearing this up, Jack! If you continue to have
difficulty locating Mrs. H. M. Chadwick's essay; I will gladly send it
again.

> In spite of what Mr. Moody might think, the copy of the article I
> furnished Professor Baldwin was one I had requested and received
> from the publisher of the book in which the article appeared, and
> which they happily supplied me free of charge inasmuch as the
> book was out of print and they were unable to sell me a copy.

PLM: I have no reason to doubt you, Jack; so please accept my apologies for
coming to a hasty conclusion. However, I hope you can appreciate my
perspective. I had already sent you a perfectly legible scan; so how was I
to conclude that you forgot that I even sent the essay to you, and yet you
were still able to recall the publisher and title of the essay, and then go
and order an article you already had? I guess the truth is stranger than
fiction - occasionally:-)
Since there now appears to be two independent copies of the same essay;
let me mention a distinguishing feature that my scan has. On the title page
of my copy, you will find in the lower right hand corner, "Best Regards"
written by Pia Rink, and it would form the hypotenuse of a right triangle.
Along the base, there still remains a portion of the letter "P"; which is
what remains of her signature, after I cropped the scan to reduce the file
size.

Best Wishes,
Phil

> In order that credit may be given where credit is due, permit me to
> mention that Mr. Moody is quite right when he mentions in this
> message that he had sent me a copy of this article by Professor
> Sawyer. Let me assure everyone on the list that Stewart Baldwin
> was unaware of my having received this from Mr. Moody and, in
> fact, I had forgotten it myself and have had to search back through
> my records to find that he not only sent me this article but also
> sent me an article by the late Dr. Nora Chadwick which, un-
> fortunately I am unable to locate at the moment.
>

> In spite of what Mr. Moody might think, the copy of the article I
> furnished Professor Baldwin was one I had requested and received
> from the publisher of the book in which the article appeared, and
> which they happily supplied me free of charge inasmuch as the
> book was out of print and they were unable to sell me a copy.
>

> And I do very much like to give credit where credit is due.
>

> Best regards to all on the list,
>

> Jack K. Brown
>

> Phil Moody wrote:
>
> >Stewart Baldwin wrote:
> >
> >>Over the last few years, I have become aware of other recent accounts
> >>giving the basic genealogy of these ninth century kings, two of them
> >>(by Sawyer and Maund) from the early 1990's of which I was unaware
> >>when I wrote my account, and two others (by Coupland and Cutler) that
> >>have appeared more recently (and I thank Jack Brown for giving me the
> >>URL for Cutler's article and for providing me with a copy of
> >>Coupland's and Sawyer's articles).
> >>

> ><snip>
> >
> >>Peter Sawyer, "Kings and Royal Power", Jysk Ark├Žologisk Selskabs
> >>Skrifter 22 (1991), 282-8.
> >>

> >PLM: Did Jack happen to give me credit for supplying him with Peter
Sawyer's
> >essay? I in fact, mentioned this article in an e-mail which I posted to
you,
> >Stewart. Quoted in full below:
> >
> >PLM: This reference resulted in many requests for Dr. Sawyer's essay off
> >list; Jack Brown and Todd Farmerie being two recipients, off the top of
my
> >head. Here is another e-mail I sent to the group:
> >
> [snip]
>

> >Now, this article was mentioned in a corresponance from Peter Sawyer
> >himself, and Pia Rink of Copenhagn kindly copied this article for me, and
> >sent it to me via snail mail, at my request; so I went to great lengths
> >acquire this essay, and making it available to those who wanted to read
it,
> >and I don't appreciate ingrates who don't give credit where credit is
due.

> >Best Wishes,
> >Phil

This thread: