GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040074708

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Question On Validity
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:38:28 -0000

Indeed it is a particularly uninformed statement, "red-flag" and farblondjet.

In a word:

Twaddle....

Deus Vult

nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Disinfectus Optimus Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia,
Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in
your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet,
Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166-167

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly. All original material
contained herein is copyright and property of the author. It may be quoted
only in discussions on this forum and with an attribution to the author,
unless permission is otherwise expressly given, in writing.
------------------

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor.

"Stewart Baldwin" <> wrote in message

| On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:11:19 +0200, Renia <> wrote:
|
| >Stewart Baldwin wrote:
|
| >>...Perhaps Mr. Stockdill has
| >> just been unlucky in his own research (or maybe he is relying too much
| >> on parish registers and not enough on other sources like probate
| >> records).
| >
| >See my inclusion of his description of a one-name study on this thread
| >(in soc.gen.med) where he says:
| >
| >One-namers are on the whole the most experienced people in genealogy,
| >because to do a one-name study it is vital that you are familiar with
| >sources - especially the more unusual as well as the better known ones.
|
| Now there's a "red flag" sort of statement if I ever saw one. It is
| vital to be familiar with the sources regardless of what kind of
| researcher you are, and Mr. Stockdill's suggestion that "one-namers"
| are somehow more experienced genealogists seems to me to be a
| particularly ill-informed statement.
|
| Stewart Baldwin

This thread: