GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040075041

From: (Stewart Baldwin)
Subject: Re: Question on validity
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:44:01 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:11:19 +0200, Renia <> wrote:

>Stewart Baldwin wrote:

>>...Perhaps Mr. Stockdill has
>> just been unlucky in his own research (or maybe he is relying too much
>> on parish registers and not enough on other sources like probate
>> records).
>
>See my inclusion of his description of a one-name study on this thread
>(in soc.gen.med) where he says:
>
>One-namers are on the whole the most experienced people in genealogy,
>because to do a one-name study it is vital that you are familiar with
>sources - especially the more unusual as well as the better known ones.

Now there'sa "redflag" sort of statement if I ever saw one. It is
vital to be familiar with the sources regardless of what kind of
researcher you are, and Mr. Stockdill's suggestion that "one-namers"
are somehow more experienced genealogists seems to me to be a
particularly ill-informed statement.

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: