GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040077300

From: "Carpenter, Charles" <>
Subject: RE: Question on validity
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:24:32 -0500

One frequently hears this kind of thing from Europeans. And understandably
so -- the English Civil War isn't the only barrier. It's damn hard to get
that far, or so they tell me. As for we Americans, I'm probably not
atypical: I know all 32 people at the ggggfather level (parents of the
generation who participated in the American Civil War), and indeed all 64 at
the next generation back. Only 122 in the following, despite some pretty
substantial effort. Our much earlier census data is a great help, as is our
widespread landownership during 18th and 17th centuries. The fact that I
descend from what is known in the Maryland State Song as 'Northern Scum" is
helpful as well -- southern courthouses didn't fare nearly so well as
northern during "The Late Unpleasantness."

I haven't counted lately, but I have hundreds of known ancestors alive at
the time of the English Civil War -- all of whom were living in North
America. Obviously records from some of their communities have fallen victim
from time to time to the odd fire over the years, but nothing like the
systematic destruction in areas where the American (and I would suppose,
English) civil wars were fought.

Now of these, only the smallest handful can be traced more than a single
generation in Europe, and only 2 emigrants are known descendants of Edward
I.