GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040078149

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Question On Validity
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:35:49 -0000

Good Post...

This is particularly salient:

| Our much earlier census data is a great help, as is our
| widespread land ownership during 18th and 17th centuries.
| The fact that I descend from what is known in the Maryland
| State Song as 'Northern Scum" is helpful as well
| -- southern courthouses didn't fare nearly
| so well as northern during "The Late Unpleasantness."

Deus Vult

nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Disinfectus Optimus Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia,
Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in
your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet,
Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166-167

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly. All original material
contained herein is copyright and property of the author. It may be quoted
only in discussions on this forum and with an attribution to the author,
unless permission is otherwise expressly given, in writing.
------------------

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor.

""Carpenter, Charles"" <> wrote in message

| One frequently hears this kind of thing from Europeans. And understandably
| so -- the English Civil War isn't the only barrier. It's damn hard to get
| that far, or so they tell me. As for we Americans, I'm probably not
| atypical: I know all 32 people at the ggggfather level (parents of the
| generation who participated in the American Civil War), and indeed all 64 at
| the next generation back. Only 122 in the following, despite some pretty
| substantial effort. Our much earlier census data is a great help, as is our
| widespread landownership during 18th and 17th centuries. The fact that I
| descend from what is known in the Maryland State Song as 'Northern Scum" is
| helpful as well -- southern courthouses didn't fare nearly so well as
| northern during "The Late Unpleasantness."
|
| I haven't counted lately, but I have hundreds of known ancestors alive at
| the time of the English Civil War -- all of whom were living in North
| America. Obviously records from some of their communities have fallen victim
| from time to time to the odd fire over the years, but nothing like the
| systematic destruction in areas where the American (and I would suppose,
| English) civil wars were fought.
|
| Now of these, only the smallest handful can be traced more than a single
| generation in Europe, and only 2 emigrants are known descendants of Edward
| I.

This thread: