GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040182975

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Lady Godiva Admired
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:42:55 -0000

1. General/President George Washington does not have any legitimate
descendants. So, your student is either a liar or sadly mistaken.

I'd suggest you tell him to check his work again.

2. To follow....

Deus Vult

nothing." -- Attributed to Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sol Disinfectus Optimus Est. Peccatoris Justificatio Absque Paenitentia,
Legem Destruit Moralem.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in
your philosophy." ---- William Shakespeare [1564-1616] The Tragedy of Hamlet,
Prince of Denmark, Act I, Scene V, Line 166-167

All replies to the newsgroup please. Thank you kindly. All original material
contained herein is copyright and property of the author. It may be quoted
only in discussions on this forum and with an attribution to the author,
unless permission is otherwise expressly given, in writing.
------------------

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor.

"Doug McDonald" <> wrote in message

| "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
| >
| > Subject line changed. We would not want to "dissect" a beautiful woman.
| >
| > Leo, are you saying that anyone descended from Gilbert de Lacy, who
reportedly
| > died in 1230, and his wife Isabel Bigod ---- are descendants of Lady
Godiva?

| > If so, that's a whole gaggle of us. <g>
| >

| yes, but the critical generation is earlier, Bertha of Hereford, m.
| William de Braose
|
| For example, the line to Robert II of Scotland branches off there, as
| do many, many lines that royally speaking get only Henry I (who was not
| a Godiva descendent).
|

| Yes, a gaggle. A recent student of mine mentioned that he was a
| descendent of George Washington. He had no idea that he was therefore
| a descendent of a vast array of Kings and Queens, but he was
| particularly amused by Lady Godiva.
|

| Here's a (stolen) descendent tree. Lots of well-discussed (in s.g.m)
| people
| appear in this table.
|

| Descendants of Bertha of Hereford
|
| 1 Bertha of Hereford 1130 -
| +William de Braose Lord of Abergavenny - 1179
| 2 Bertha de Braose
| +Walter de Beauchamp - 1216
| 3 Walcheline (Walter) de Beauchamp - 1236
| +Joan de Mortimer - 1225
| 4 William de Beauchamp Lord of Elmsley 1215 -
| 1267/68
| +Isabel Mauduit 1227 - 1268
| 2 William de Braose Lord of Abergavenny - 1211
| +Maud de St Valerie
| 3 Reynold de Braose Lord of Abergavenny - 1227
| +Grecia Briegeurre
| 4 William de Braose Lord of Abergavenny 1197 -
| 1230
| +Eva Marshal - 1246
| *2nd Wife of Reynold de Braose Lord of Abergavenny:
| +Glwadys Dhu (of Wales) 1194 - 1251
| 3 Margaret de Braose - 1255
| +Walter de Lacy Lord of Meath - 1239/40
| 4 Egidia (Jill) de Lacy - 1243
| +Richard de Burgh Lord of Connaught - 1242/43
| 4 Katherine de Lacy
| 4 Pernel de Lacy - 1288
| +Ralph VI de Toni 1190 - 1239
| 4 Gilbert de Lacy 1208 - 1230
| +Isobel Bigod 1210 -
| 3 Giles de Braose Bishop of Hereford - 1215
| 3 Eleanor de Braose - 1240/41
| +Hugh de Mortimer - 1227
| 3 Maud (or Susan) de Braose
| 3 William de Braose - 1210
| +Matilda de St Clare
| 4 John de Braose Lord of Bramber & Gower 1198 -
| 1232
| +Margaret ferch Llewelyn ap Iowerth
| 3 Laurette de Braiose - 1265/66
| +Robert de Bellomont Earl of Leicester - 1204
| 2 Sibilla de Braose - 1227/28
| +William de Ferrers Earl of Derby - 1190
| 3 Pernell de Ferrers
| +Hervey de Stafford - 1237
| 4 Robert de Stafford Lord of Stafford - 1261
| +Alice Corbet - 1261
| 4 Hervey de Stafford - 1241
| +Mabel de Muscegros
| 3 William de Ferrers Earl of Derby 1170 - 1247
| +Agnes de Kivelioc - 1247
| 4 William de Ferrers Earl of Derby 1193 - 1253/54
| +Sibilla Marshal
| *2nd Wife of William de Ferrers Earl of Derby:
| +Margaret de Quency - 1280/81
|

| Doug McDonald

This thread: