GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-12 > 1040251789

From: "malinda" <>
Subject: Re: Lady Godiva Admired
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:49:49 -0600

Wrong....

the DNA tests only showed that some Jefferson male or males shared the same
DNA with some of the children. There were much more likely candidates for
paternity among the Jefferson males than Thomas Jefferson...but he's the
only
one whose name would sell newspapers...or cheesy books.

If you had done any research at all you'd be aware of that. Or were you
hired to
write a piece of revisionistic, yellow journalism to forward some political
agenda ?

~malinda

> >So...you wrote your book before there was any DNA "evidence" to connect
> >any Jefferson males to any slave children ??
> >
> >~malinda
>
> Yes. That is correct. The evidence that Thomas Jefferson was the father to
> Sally Hemings children was overwhelming long before the DNA tests.
> Self-proclaimed "defenders" of Thomas Jefferson wanted the DNA tests done
> thinking that they would prove that he was not the father. They were
wrong.

> My book was first published in 1992. In 1998, it was reprinted without any
> changes by a different publisher. In happened by coincidence that only a
> few weeks after my book was reprinted that the test results came out
> showing that Thomas Jefferson could not be excluded as the father. This
> merely added to the already strong evidence that he was the father.
>
> Sam Sloan
>

> >> In my book, "The Slave Children of Thomas Jefferson" page 187-188,
which
> >> was first published in 1992, I state that Thomas Jefferson was a direct
> >> descendant of Lady Godiva.
> >>
> >> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/4906574009/slavesofthomasje
> >>
> >> I got this from an article in the Virginia Historical Quarterly which,
as
> >> recall, was published in the 1920s or 1930s.
> >>
> >> If not there, it was from an article in Genealogies of Virginia
Families,
> >> Volume 5.
> >>
> >> I no longer have imediate access to these publications, but anybody can
go
> >> to the library and look it up.
> >>
> >> Of course, I need to thank Leo for sending me the information to enable
me
> >> to establish the exact links (there are many). This was just in my
memory
> >> bank of curious facts so I decided to look it up two days ago.
> >>
> >> Sam Sloan

This thread: