GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-03 > 1047246364

From: (Stewart Baldwin)
Subject: Re: Paternity of Judith, wife of Earl Waltheof (was re: Adelaide...)
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 21:46:04 GMT

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 04:54:02 GMT, Nathaniel Taylor
<> wrote:

>In article <>,
> (Douglas Richardson) wrote:

>>In addition to the source you've cited, Vita et passio Waldevi
>>comitis, Countess Judith's father is also named as Lambert of Lens in
>>an ancient pedigree of the Scottish royal family which I believe was
>>recorded at Melrose Abbey.
>
>Can you give a reference for this pedigree? I imagine it is later than,
>and possibly derivative of, the _Vita et passio_, or at least represents
>the same family tradition. Do Morton and Muntz discuss this text?

I don't know whether or not this is the pedigree that Doug was
thinking of, but the Chronicle of the Canons of Huntingdon makes
Judith a daughter of Lambert [see Anderson's "Early Sources of
Scottish History" vol. 2, p. 28]. The only other reference to Lambert
mentioned by Anderson was the item from the Life of Waltheof already
mentioned, which also made Judith a daughter of Lambert. The index to
Anderson's work (not compiled by the author) states that Judith was a
daughter of Odo of Champagne, but I do not find this stated anywhere
in the body of the book, so it is an apparent slip by the indexer.
Enguerrand does not even appear in the index.

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: