GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-07 > 1058743944

From: (jallan)
Subject: Re: An honest question, Re: Annalistic Writing - Ancient Ireland: SCIENCE and MYTHOLOGY -
Date: 20 Jul 2003 16:32:24 -0700

If one link in a chain of argument is false, then the argument fails.

Curtis Clark may be an excellent biologist and creator of fonts. That
does not mame him knowledgeable about Gaelic.

If you wish to use the tree alphabet, you will have to come to terms
with the fact that Graves' meanings are sometimes dubious and
sometimes wrong, that he even invents a syntactically incorrect name
_nGetal_ and then applies an incorrect meaning to that form.

Since Graves is wrong, Clark's identifications are incomplete and
misleading.

Here's another link to a site that gives the Graves identifications
but then also idependently the actual meanings of the letter names in
Gaelic: http://www.monkeyshinesbeadery.com/celtic/ogham.

I also point out that Everson's site which supposedly points to all
Ogham references on the web mentions casually of one of Clark's site
(with a dead link): *Natural History of the Trees of the Ogham* Curtis
Clark's list of the Ogham character names with some explanations as to
their meanings. Some errors in the names. See
http://www.evertype.com/standards/og/ogmharc.html.

You are dealing with dirty data, unless you can idependently show that
both that Peter Berresford Ellis translations and commentary is
incorrect and that Graves, who knew no Gaelic, is correct.

Gaelic _tinne_ 'link' is at http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb38.html
traced back to the Gaelic root _tana_. See
http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb38.html#tana from Indo-European
ten-.
See http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE526.html.

See http://www.etymonline.com/s10etym.htm for etymology of _tinder_
which is part of your German complex of spark words.

Attemping to connect these with each other and an attempt to connect
Arabic _tin_, Hebrew _te'en_ 'fig' to either of these seems to me
dubious.

If you did demonstrate a connection, what would it show?

You still wouldn't know what tree was represented in the Ogham
alphabet or even that it is a tree.

Graves makes _tinne_ mean both "ash" and "holly" for unstated reasons.
What have these to do with "fig"?

In any case, pointing out similarities of individual words in
different languages indictes nothing. There are always words in one
language that seem similar to words in other languages, especially
short words. You need more to prove borrowing.

If you can't establish firmly the meaning of the suppposed tree
alphabet and an early date for it you can't reasonably go any farther.

Jim Allan

This thread: