GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-08 > 1061070089

From: Matthew Harley <>
Subject: Re: An honest question, Re: Annalistic Writing - Ancient Ireland:
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:41:29 +0100

"Chris & Tom Tinney, Sr." wrote:

> A study of St. Patrick is telling.
> "Now Patrick's race was of the Britons of Dumbarton.
> Calpurn was his father's name, a high priest was he.
> Otid (Potitus) was the name of his grandfather: he
> was a deacon. But Conchess was his mother's name:
> daughter was she of Ochbas: of France was her race,
> that is, she was a sister of Martin's.
>
> Patrick, then, (was) son of Calpurn, son of Otid,
> son of Odisse, son of Gorniuth, son of Lubeniuth,
> son of Mercut, son of Otta, son of Muric, son of
> Oricc, son of Leo, son of Maximus, son of Ecretus,
> son of Eresus, son of Felestus, son of Ferinus,
> son of Brittus, from whom are the Britons.
>
> He had five sisters, namely, Lupait and Tigris
> and Darerca and Liamain and Richell."
> . . .
> " Now this was the cause of Patrick's coming to
> Ireland. Seven sons of Sechtmad, to wit, seven
> sons of the King of Britain, were in exile. They
> wrought rapine in the land of Britain, and Ulstermen
> were along with them, and so they brought Patrick
> in captivity to Ireland, and his two sisters Tigris
> and Lupait, and they sold Patrick to Míliucc maccu
> Buain, that is, to the King of Dalaraide, and to
> his three brothers, and they sold his two sisters
> in Conaille Muirthemne, and nothing was well known
> of them, (that is) and no one of them knew into
> what land another was sold.
>
> Now Patrick served the king and his three brothers,
> wherefore there was given unto him the name of
> Cothraige, that is, the slave of four persons. Now
> four names had he, to wit, Succet, his name from his
> parents: Cothraige, when he served the four persons:
> Magonius (i.e.magis agens, his name with Germanus:
> Patricius (that is, "father of citizens") his name
> with Peter's successor, Celestinus."
> http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/T201009/
>
> The record shows that NAMES were given to individuals,
> even SLAVES, during the time of St. Patrick that were
> related to their position in life. His mother's line
> was from France. Interesting. It was important in
> the record for St. Patrick to have a royal line,
> (bogus) going back to Brittus, from whom are the
> Britons. Was this a requirement of ancient Irish
> culture, to have royal status and French connections?
> "The story is told of how a colony once landed on
> these shores, a colony led by one Brutus (Bryttys
> in the Welsh chronicle). It was from this Brutus
> that the British people derived their name."
> http://www.ldolphin.org/cooper/ch4.html
> "Then Brutus founded the city of Trinovantum,
> or New Troy, which was later to become the city
> of London. Brutus, the first king of the Britons,
> reigned over his people in this island for twenty
> three years, i.e. from ca 1104-1081 BC."
> http://www.ldolphin.org/cooper/ch5.html

On the off chance that somebody might actually believe this,
I have to state that 99% of this stuff about Patrick is
GARBAGE!

The 1% of truth is that Patrick was British, his father was
a deacon called Calpurnius and his grandfather was a priest
called Potitus. We know that because he told us so. It is
also possible that Patrick was know in Ireland as Cothraige,
but not for the reasons given here.

Quoting random URLs which only reproduce garbage from
elsewhere is not scholarship.

Matt Harley

This thread: