GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-09 > 1064156819

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: Re: "I'm Being Deluged By Emails"
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:06:59 GMT

"Drew Nicholson" wrote:

> > Unfortunately it makes Apple computers expensive as they're still made in
> > the USA, unlike most domestic computer equipment these days.
> >

> They _were_ made in Ireland (that's the ROI, not Northern Ireland, of
> course) for a while. Apple shut the factory down, unfortunately.
> Drew

PLM: The Apple, or Mac is a totally proprietary system; so they can charge
what ever they like for them, because you cannot build your own. It is
essentially a monopoly, and they are to expensive in the U.S. as well. It is
one of the reasons I have never owned a Mac; because I cannot afford it. I
custom build my own computers; because I enjoy the flexibility of choosing
which components I want to have in my PC. Sure, you can have one of the big
boys custom build one for you, but you are going to pay a very high premium
for this service.

Creative Labs was started by some enterprising Oklahoma State University
students, and it is now a multi Billion dollar company, with their Corporate
Headquarters in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I received a offer of employment from
them; so I explored their company, and I found that they have a factory in
Ireland, and I liked the prospect of relocating to Ireland appealing, but I
finally turned them down because the commute to Stillwater from Tulsa was
unacceptable. This was about three years ago; so I don't know if they still
have their facility in Ireland.

Cheers,
Phil

"Drew Nicholson" <> wrote in message
> "William Black" <> wrote in message
> >
> > Unfortunately it makes Apple computers expensive as they're still made in
> > the USA, unlike most domestic computer equipment these days.
> >

> They _were_ made in Ireland (that's the ROI, not Northern Ireland, of
> course) for a while. Apple shut the factory down, unfortunately.
>

> Drew
> ---
> "When a man assumes a public trust, he should consider himself as public
> property." Thomas Jefferson

This thread: