GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-10 > 1065984611

From: Doug Thompson <>
Subject: Parentage of Matilda de Braose (St Valery) - "new" evidence.
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:50:11 +0100

Back in August Tim Powys-Lybbe asked:

> I can't find any reference to connect Maud to No 46.(Bernard de St. Valery.)
> Can you assist?

To which John Ravilious replied:

> Concerning the identification of Maud de St. Valery as daughter
> of Bernard, this is based somewhat on onomastic evidence (cf. St.
> Valery names - Reginald, Maud, Lauretta/Loretta introduced into de
> Braose line with Maud's children) and largely on the identification of
> Tetbury, co. Gloucs. - a holding of Bernard de St. Valery - as the
> maritagium of Maud.

And some sources give Reginald de St Valery as Maud's father.

However I recently came across a "new" piece of evidence. (About 750 years
old actually!)

In the 13th century Histoire des Ducs de Normandie et des Rois d'Angleterre,
there is a piece about Maud de St Valery. It is translated on Dr Helen
Nicholson's website - see

http://freespace.virgin.net/nigel.nicholson/wom5.htm#extract_e

In this extract the author clearly states "she was daughter of Bernard de
St-Valéry".

The Histoire is thought to have been written in the mid 13th century and
appears to be by someone who was familiar with the people he wrote about.

I believe this removes any further doubt about the father of Maud.

I welcome any comments.

Doug Thompson
History and Genealogy of the Braose Family

http://freespace.virgin.net/doug.thompson/BraoseWeb/index1.htm (Genealogy)

http://freespace.virgin.net/doug.thompson/BraoseWeb/stage.htm (History)

This thread: