GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-11 > 1070129330

From: Dolly Ziegler <>
Subject: search f/any surname (was: Re: S.P.H.Statham
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:08:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello to the list. Search for books relating to _any_ surname at the
Family History Library website, www.familysearch.org Near the top, click
library, click search catalog, click surname search, type the name that
interests you.

This does NOT get every book that has that surname in its index! Only
those with enough content on that surname that the cataloger thought it
merited listing.

In this case, Paul, good news: the book you want is at the FHL in Salt
Lake City, and has been microfilmed. You can order the microfilm through
any Family History Center; about US$3.50 for a 4-week rental.

Film can be viewed _only_ on the FHC readers. Most FHCs have microfilm
copiers; fees vary, ask first, I've paid 10 cents to 50 cents per page.
Note: you must go to the FHC to order the film and pay for it; no phone,
mail or email orders.

familysearch.org also has a listing of FHC locations and phone numbers.
(3,800+ FHCs worldwide, I think?) You may have to call several times to
ask about the hours the FHC is open. (Don't write to the FHC location,
it's not a mailing address.)

For those who are using OCLC for book searches, I think the FHL books are
not listed there. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Cheers, Dolly in Maryland USA

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, paul bulkley wrote:

> I understand that the Rev S.P.H.Statham wrote a text
> titled " The Descent of the Family of Statham"
>
> Apparently copies of this text are at the British and
> the Liverpool Libraries.
>
> Is anyone aware of a text available to the public in
> the USA?

This thread: