GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-12 > 1071305843

From: (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: Ancestry of John Bluet, of Raglan
Date: 13 Dec 2003 00:57:23 -0800

Dear Jim ~

Thank you for your good post.

Sometime ago, I worked out the following Magna Carta Surety line for
Elizabeth Bluet, wife of James Berkeley, of Raglan Castle, co.
Monmouth (died 1405):

l. WILLIAM MALET, Magna Carta Surety, Baron of Curry-Mallet, Somerset,
married (1st) _____.

2. MABEL MALET, married HUGH DE VIVONNE, of Chewton, Somerset.

3. WILLIAM DE FORZ, Knt., of Chewton, Somerset, married MAUD DE
FERRERS (descendant of King Henry I of England).

4. JOAN DE VIVONNE, married REYNOLD FITZ PETER, Knt., of Wolverton,
co. Hants.

5. KATHERINE FITZ REYNOLD, married JOHN PICHARD, of Stradewy Castle
[present day Llanvihangel-Ystrad, co. Cardigan], Wales, and Bishampton
and Kington, co. Worcester.

6. AMICE PICHARD, married RALPH BLUET, of Raglan, co. Monmouth, Wales,
Daglingworth, co. Gloucester, and Thruxton, co. Hereford.

7. RALPH BLUET, Knt., of Raglan and Thuruxton, co. Monmouth, Wales,
and Daglingworth, co. Gloucester, married ELIZABETH FERCH RHYS AP
HYWEL.

8. JOHN BLUET, Knt., of Raglan and Daglingworth, etc., married
KATHERINE WOGAN (or GWRGAN).

9. ELIZABETH BLUET, married (1st) BARTHOLOMEW PICOT, Knt.; (2nd) JAMES
BERKELEY, Knt., of Raglan Castle, co. Monmouth; (3rd) WILLIAM AP
THOMAS, Knt.

Complete Peerage 2 (1912): 132 (sub Berkeley) provides no information
regarding Elizabeth Bluet's ancestry. You can find partial
particulars of the above line in the Genealogist, n.s. 12 (1895):
29-30 (1895) ("Bartholomew Picot and Elizabeth his wife, sued John
Poyntz, Chivaler, and Margaret, his wife, for the manor of Thurleston
which Roger Pychard gave to Amice, his daughter, and heirs of her body
[Amice's son Ralph, first husband of Margaret, and Ralph's son, John,
father of Elizabeth]").

I trust this answers your question.

E-mail:

This thread: