GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-12 > 1071851154

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Christian Settipani's French Books
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:25:54 -0000

By all means....

M. Settipani has a perfect right to write in French ---- and
occasionally post here in English -- or French, as he pleases.

Perhaps the solution to your little personal problem, Moody...is to:

LEARN FRENCH!

Damn! USENET does draw out some certifiable idiots!

D. Spencer Hines

Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Vires et Honor

Vive La France!

""Christian Settipani"" <> wrote in message

| Phil Moody wrote :
| >Naturally, he continues to publish only in French, whilst dangling
the
| English
| >Carrot before our noses, but we ignorant masses know we will never
see one
| of
| >his books in English:-)
|
| Dear Phil, of course, I write in French : I'm French.
| I'm not aware that English is the only authorized language. As you can
| easely verify, I'm not very fluent in English. So a book in English
suppose
| :
| 1) a very long time for me to translate it and correct it (and I'm not
able
| to do that alone)
| or
| 2) the use of a professional translator, very expensive and not
accessible
| to me.
|
| But you can see that I make the effort to write in English (?) in this
forum
| and that I have translated my addenda to Charlemagne (with the very
friendly
| help of Nat Taylor). Last week I have a conversation with Francis
Christian
| about a new edition of 'Nos AncĂȘtres de l'AntiquitĂ©' and I have
suggested an
| English edition. He don't want for the moment.
| For the next volume on 'Midi carolingien', we have to wait first the
| original publication.
|
| Just a word about the byzantine book, and this is a late answer to
Igor's
| query : in my present view, the book is only intended to cover the
'dark
| ages' of Byzantium, 6th to 9th centuries, with only a few exceptions.
|
| CS

This thread: