GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-12 > 1071935905

From: (Jay)
Subject: Re: Settipani's french books
Date: 20 Dec 2003 07:58:25 -0800

I am not aware of any software that can produce flawless translations.
Computerized translations are all flawed to some degree, the nature
of language does not lend itself well to computerized translations. I
think the range is somewhat passable to dreadful depending on the
complexity of the work to be translated. In fact humans versed in
languages do not always produce flawless translations, even if you are
not exacting in the definition of flawless.

I think human translators still have some job security for the near
future.

I recently got around to reading some Voltaire ( in translation, as my
French is too rusty. It was fortunately translated by a human, and
thus read very well.)

This thread: