GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-12 > 1071940175

From: "Phil Moody" <>
Subject: Re: Settipani's french books
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:14:01 -0600

"Pierre Aronax" wrote:

> Cher Monsieur Settipani,
>
> Je ne vois pas bien pourquoi vous auriez crire vos livres en
> anglais, ou vous excuser de ne pas le faire. Mme si le recours un
> traducteur tait moins coteux, qu'en serait-il de vos nombreux
> lecteurs qui lisent mal l'anglais ou prfrent lire en franais?
> Devrions nous renoncer publier des livres en franais uniquement
> parce qu'il y a parmi les anglophones quelques abouliques qui ne
> veulent pas faire l'effort d'apprendre un peu d'une autre langue pour
> accder un sujet qui les intresse? J'avoue ne pas comprendre que
> vous sentiez le besoin de vous justifier.
>
> Pierre

PLM: Pierre, although you write very good English, you have failed to
comprehend what I have said. I am in no way suggesting in any way, shape, or
form that M. Settipani quit writing his work in French! I am merely suggesting
a separate edition for English readers. Furthermore, I find your reply to be
extremely rude, due to the fact that both you and M. Settepani read English
well enough to have made a reply in French unnecessary; especially since you
responded to an e-mail that was written in English by M. Settepani, your
response should have been in the same language.

Your words courtesy of Babelfish; which allows me to get the GIST of what you
have written.

Dear Mr Settipani, I do not see well why you would have to write your English
books, or to excuse you not to do it. Even if the recourse to a translator
were less expensive, what happenwould happen of your many readers who read
English badly or prefer lira in French? Should give up us publishing French
books only because there is among the english-speaking some aboulic who do not
want to make the effort learn a little another language to reach on a subject
which interests them? I acknowledge not to understand that you feel the need
to justify you. Pierre

Cheers,
Phil