GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-01 > 1073970523

From: "Leo van de Pas" <>
Subject: Re: Fw:
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:14:38 +1100

I am but I know I shouldn't..............

When genealogies are displayed it is important also to know why they are
displayed.

Mel Gibson made a rollicking good movie with Braveheart, but to make the
story more compelling he changed some historical and genealogical facts. So
what? It is only a story.

William Shakespeare wrote some rollicking good plays but, in some, to make
the story easier to follow he changed some historical and genealogical
facts. So what? It is the "story" that counts.

For certain reasons the bible has recorded genealogies, I have been told
that the "begats" each name could represent seven (or more) generations.
That genealogy cannot be correct as it is, as it does not cover enough
generations to span the period mankind has been on earth.
In my opinion it is the message and the story that counts, not the
genealogy.

The Bible is a message that has been written for the salvation of mankind,
it is not a history nor a genealogy, it is the story/message that counts,
not the genealogy.

I think religious toes are too sensitive in this case, they want to be
trampled upon. I understand that some parts of the new testament were
written as late as 70 AD. To link anyone mentioned in the bible to people
living later, we need other proof, documentary or otherwise. That proof, I
understand, is very much lacking. Like most people, I would dearly love to
see genealogies going all the way to Noah and beyond, but wishful thinking
is not "proof".

That people on gen-med loathe the idea of God and Country, where does that
come from?
The love for America shines through from many people, so much so that it
almost seems like a religion and that kind of religion, also, should be
respection on gen-med. We are here for genealogical reasons, not politics or
religion.

Whether the Bible is true has nothing to do with the linking of present day
people to people mentioned in the bible, the Bible is a unit of its own. A
unit created in the time of Emperor Constantine, the time when it was
decided by men what was part of the bible and what was not. The message of
the bible is there, that some parts of the message may be distorted is being
investigated by many learned people----but not on gen-med where this does
not belong.

The divine right of kings? Who decides on earth who should be king?
Charlemagne became King of the Franks by conquest, was he allowed to do so
by God? Who are we to say this?
Let's assume he, and his descendants were. Like in Scotland, they did not
necessarily stick to the eldest son of the monarch being the next
monarch----how divine is that? It is most definitely more practical, as then
always a mature person is the ruler. But what happened after a while? Hugues
Capet decided, not God, that by Divine Right his lineage were to be kings of
France, to the exclusion of the Carolingians. And as a result France was
stuck with the Capetingians for many centuries.

"You cannot effectively say that a child does not belong to one father until
you can prove that somebody else is the father". Surely, Antoine, these
days, you cannot mean this? How many paternity cases have there been where
DNA and blood tests have excluded a person as father without pointing the
finger at someone else as the father?

I think, what you are trying to say is, that if there is no proof either
way, we have to leave our options open and I agree with that. What do you
suggest what to do with this group of murder suspects? Execute them all
"because one must be guilty", or release all because only one can be guilty?
As far as genealogy is concerned, I rather have no parents than parents who
"possibly could be correct". By assigning wrong or questionable parents, you
also can assign wrong grandparents, great-grandparents and so on, I'd rather
have a blank than an error, and as far as Biblical links is concerned, we
only have blanks.

Am I correct in assuming Antoine is born in 1983 and has a very interesting
ancestry?

Best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia