GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-01 > 1074147183

From: (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: C.P. Correction: Heirs of Elizabeth Aton
Date: 14 Jan 2004 22:13:03 -0800

Dear Newssgroup ~

The following Chancery suit involves the heirs of Sir William Playce,
of Gristhorpe and Lebberston, Yorkshire, son and heir of William de
Playce, Knt. (died 1371), by his wife, Elizabeth de Aton.

The three plaintiffs in this suit were grand-daughters and co-heirs of
Margaret Sewerby, wife of Geoffrey Picot. Yorkshire Arch. Journal, 17
(1903): 57 indicates that Margaret was daughter of William Sewerby,
Esq., of Sewerby, Yorkshire. Margaret Sewerby was a near kinswoman to
Sir William Playce through her Playce ancestry, but not descended from
him. As best I can determine Margaret Sewerby is the person who
inherited the Playce family estates on the death of Sir William Playce
without issue.

C 1/546/39 James Metcalf, esquire, and Margaret, his wife, Giles
[Hussey] and Jane, his wife, and James Strangways, esquire, and
Elizabeth, his wife. v. Richard Nevill, Lord Latimer.: Detention of
deeds relating to the manors of Gristhorpe, Lebberston, Molthorp,
H[und]manby, Newton Morrell, Lopsollz, Scarthhouse, and Conderston in
Baldersdall, late of Geoffrey Pycott and Margaret, his wife,
grandparents of the female complainants. 1518-1529

E-mail:

This thread: