GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-01 > 1074974443

Subject: Re: Sixteen Quarters Of Nobility
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:00:43 EST

Pierre,
I'm sorry to disagree with you regarding your statement about the fact that
most of the French nobility can only claim to be 'Barons'. There are several
families or houses i can think of who descend from a person who was granted
letters patent of Count or Marquis: Law de Lauriston, Marquis cr 1817, descended
from the celebrated Financier John Law, Duport de Loriol, (my kinsmen) cr Comte
1743, de Portes, Marquis, cr 1747, de Resseguier, Cte & Marquis 1652, de
Sinety, Marquis 1770, ...
Granted , many of the old noblesse were granted more senior titles than Baron
by the Bonapartes, but there are many old French families that still have a
valid descent from a 'Comte' or 'Marquis' precluding the Ducal familes.
I do admit that many of the pre-Napoleonic families existing today only carry
the title of 'Comte' or 'Marquis' because of 'usage' and not from a patent.
As for the usage of titles in France, it is only the locals and not their
'Squire' who call the local noblesse by some title. Usually, in peer company, it
is never mentioned, but the fact that one is 'noble' speaks for itself - how
I'm not sure, but it does, apparently.
There is a 'noyau' in St Germain des Pres, that forms dinner parties on the
basis of precedence, irrespective of titles the oldest lineage is closest to
the host, so plain Mr de Kergorlay (filiation c 1100) precedes the Duc de Luynes
(filiation c 1400) - these dinner parties are quite something, akin to the
Society Dinners in America and those in Britain, Austria, Germany, Sweden,
Denmark, enfin ...'Le Vieux Monde'.
It may seem outmoded, mais 'ça continu' - Many seem to aspire to these lofty
victorian principles. It might seem silly, banal, outmoded, but some of these
Dinner parties have some of the richest and most influential people despite
their titles or lack of - but their girls are very sexy and like to play!
cordialement
'L'autre Pierre'

This thread: