GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-04 > 1082099251

From: (Reedpcgen)
Subject: Re: Latin Transcription and Translation
Date: 16 Apr 2004 07:07:31 GMT

The probate section of the web site I've been setting up will have multiple
examples of probate and administration acts, with transliterations and
translations, but I have not scanned things in yet and they are down in storage
waiting to be retrieved in a few weeks. There will also be vocabulary lists,
photos of original documents, etc.

The following is a typical abstract from the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
udirng the Commonwealth, when they were written in English, rather than Latin,
which will provide a flavor.

This will was provaed at London on the fourth day of December in the yeare of
our Lord god one thousand six hundred fiftie six before the Judges for probate
of wills and grauntinge Administrations Lawfully authorized by the oath of Hugh
Gardner the brother and Sole Executor named in the said will. To whome was
Comitted Administration of all and singular the goodes, Chattells, and debts of
the said deceased, he beinge first sworne in due forme of Lawe truly to
Administer the same.

It is generally formulaic, but there are minor variations, of which I'll
provide just a few on hand (also, I see small errors I made [testamentum should
be in caps, etc.], so if a better rendering of everything is needed let us
know).

Probatum fuit Testamentum sup^a^script apud London coram dilecto Subdito mro'
Willmo' Sames' legum doctore Surrogato ...secundo die Mensis Maij Anno dni'
Millimo' sex'cemo quadragesimo quinto Juramento Johannis Santy filij n'ralis et
e'timi dci' defunct' singuler bonor' iur' [jur'] et Creditoru' dci' def' de
bene et fedel'r ad'na'strand' ead' Ad cancta dei Evangelia Jurat....

Sometimes it begins

Probatum fuit hoc testament' apud ....

Sometimes it begins with the date, sometimes it's

Probatum fuit huiusmodi Testamentum suprascriptum apud London

When you have the ending, something like:

Cui commissa fuit et est administracionem omnium et singulorum bonorum
[chattels, etc.] dicto defuncti et eius Testamentum

its more generally rendered "to whom was committed administration of all and
evry of the goods of the said deceased and his will

and the last part usually states that they swore path to truly, justly and well
administer the goods, etc.

One must take caution, however, in reading all of the probate, because sometime
it states the administration was granted to the executor (as above), in the
person of Mr. so-and-so, notary, etc.

I'm still not on the group, but this was brought to my attention, and I thought
it would be good if we worked in out to have in the archives to help people
with similar problems.

Paul

This thread: