GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-07 > 1089984373

From: Peter Stewart <>
Subject: Re: Jesus
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:26:13 GMT

Jared Linn Olar wrote:
> Nope -- the traditional account of the origins of Islam is based
> almost entirely on hazy legends and oral traditions that do not appear
> in written form until long after the 600s A.D. With Christianity, we
> have a heap of first century A.D. documents, written within a few
> decades of the life of Jesus. With Islam, we have nothing at all from
> the 600s A.D., the century when Muslim legend places the origin of
> Islam. Christianity obviously has the better documentation.
>
> Jared Linn Olar
>
> on 7/16/04 12:50 AM, at wrote:
>
> In a message dated 7/15/2004 9:33:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
>>In fact, there is more and better evidence for
>>the origins of Christianity than there is for any
>>other major religion of the ancient world.
>

> Islam is better documented.
> Will

Leaving aside the question of what "ancient" means, Will is certainly
right as opposed to Jared's simplistic "Nope" - Islam is doucmented in
the Quran, and moreover oral tradition is not to be lightly dismissed in
the Arab world, where by rigorous standards of comparison this has been
more consistently & securely practiced as the basis of education than
almost anywhere else in the world.

Peter Stewart

This thread: