GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-08 > 1091627447

From: (John Brandon)
Subject: Re: SUSAN(NE)(NA) SAMWELL -- ALICE FREEMAN THOMPSON PARKE
Date: 4 Aug 2004 06:50:47 -0700

The fifth edition (latest I have access to) of F. L. Weis, _Ancestral
Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England ..._ gives the
following line (p. 28):

39. THOMAS GIFFORD of Twyford, d. 10 Oct. 1511; m. Joan Langston, d.
1535, dau. and h. of John Langston of Caversfield, co. Bucks.

40. AMY GIFFORD, b. ca. 1485-90; m. bef. 1511, Richard Samwell, son
of John, of Edgecote, co. Northants, d. 3 May 1519.

41. SUSANNA SAMWELL, m. ca. 1535, Peter Edwards, b. ca. 1490, d. ca.
1552.

42. EDWARD EDWARDS, gent., of Alwalton, b. ca. 1537, d. 1591/2, will
dated 25 Dec. 1591; m. Ursula Coles, (dau. Richard Coles), bur. 2 Feb.
1606.

43. MARGARET EDWARDS, m. by 25 Dec. 1591, Henry Freeman of Cranford,
b. 1560.

44. ALICE FREEMAN, d. New London, Conn., 11 Feb. 1664/5; m. (1) ca.
1615, John Thompson, gent., b. ca. 1580-90, d. Little Preston, parish
of Preston Capes, Northamptonshire, Eng.; will dated 6 Nov. 1626, pro.
11 Apr. 1627. (The bapts. of children of Alice (Freeman) and John
Thompson are recorded at Preston Capes.); m. (2) pres. at Roxbury,
Mass., aft. 30 May 1644, Robert Parke, as his (2) wife.

John Edwin Cussans's _History of Hertfordshire_, 3 vols. (London,
1870-1881; reprint, EP Publishing Limited, 1972), 1 [2nd section]:28,
a pedigree chart of the family of Bill of Ashwell, Herts., shows a
John Bill of Ashwell, lawyer, who died 1560, and whose second wife
(not the mother of his children) was a woman named Susan. Cussans's
chart says the following about her: "Susan, 2nd wife; daughter [of]
Richard Samwell, of Cotsford, Co. Oxon, and Northampton. (_Baker's
History Northampton_, vol. 1. p. 224). See will of her husband. As
defendant in suits in Court of Requests, 3rd and 22nd Elizabeth,
called Susan Bill, late the wife of Peter Edwards."

From this, we can see what became of Susan(na) Samwell, wife of Peter
Edwards, the great-grandmother of Mrs. Alice Freeman Thompson Parke of
Massachusetts and Connecticut. Cussans gives abstracts of the will of
John Bill of Ashwell (dated 5 March 1557/8, proved 11 May 1560): "To
Susan my wief ... L100 to my promis mad to her brother Mr. ffrancis
Samwell before ower marriage. ... To everie of my wifes three children
40s. ... To my brother Samwell my best Serjeaunts ringe and to my
sister his wief another ringe of golde. To my sister Haselwode a
ringe of gold with a perle in hit ..."

The pedigree chart shows that Susan(na)'s brother Francis Samwell
married to Mary Bill, sister of Susanna's second husband John Bill.
The will of Francis Samwell, dated 24 Nov. 1585, proved 19 Feb.
1585/6, mentions "my sisters Suzen Byll and Clemens Hasillwoode : to
my sister Billes children [qy. step-children] ..."

See http://www.familytreelegends.com/trees/johnlewis/3/data/580

This webpage shows that Amy/Anna Gifford, wife of Richard Samwell, had
another marriage to John Saxby. I think Leo's website,
www.genealogics.org, also shows two marriages, to (1) Richard Samwell
and (2) John Saxby, for Amy Gifford.

The LDS Ancestral File shows a Thomas Haselwood of Maidwell,
Northamptonshire, or Belton, co. Rutland, whose wife was "Clemensea"
Saxby. See

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

That would seem to match up with the wills of John Bill and Francis
Samwell (above). In other words, Francis and Susanna Samwell had a
half-sister, Clemensea or Clemence Saxby, the wife of Thomas
Haselwood.

See http://www.rutnet.co.uk/community/uppinghamchurch/sublevel/belton.htm

(very bottom of webpage).

Or maybe Susanna herself was Susanna Saxby, rather than Susanna
Samwell? Jus' a thought ...

This thread: