GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-08 > 1093726101

Subject: Re: Charlemagne to Agnes Harris
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:48:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/28/2004 10:48:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> The king of England relinquished without conditions all his rights to the
> Duchy of
> Normandy by a traty with the King of France on 20 May 1259. Since that date
> and until the present day, no king of England, no king of Great-Britain and
> no king of the United Kingdom has never assumed again the title of "Duke of
> Normandy" (and on which ground would he have anyway). That is a *fact*.

The best chance for a reappearance of such a title would be by Henry V
1387-1422, King of England 1413-22. The Encyclopaedia Brittanica,1985 says this "Not
content with a demand for possession of Aquitaine and other lands ceded by
the French at the Treaty of Calais (1360), he also laid claim to Normandy,
Touraine, and Maine, and to parts of France that had never been in English
hands....the gradual conquest of Normandy. Rouen, the capital of northern France,
surrendered in January 1419 ....Henry was recognized as heir to the French throne
and regent of France."

So I would expect that if he "laid claim" to Normandy (note, not yet "laid
seige"), that he most likely included a styling of himself as "Duke" or some
such thing at that time as well.

Will

This thread: