GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-08 > 1093729240

From: "Pierre Aronax" <>
Subject: Re: Charlemagne to Agnes Harris
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:40:40 +0200

<> a crit dans le message de
news:...
> In a message dated 8/28/2004 2:03:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>

> > > The best chance for a reappearance of such a title would be by Henry V
> > > 1387-1422, King of England 1413-22. The Encyclopaedia Brittanica,1985
says
> > this "Not
> > > content with a demand for possession of Aquitaine and other lands
ceded by
> > > the French at the Treaty of Calais (1360), he also laid claim to
Normandy,
> > > Touraine, and Maine, and to parts of France that had never been in
English
> > > hands....the gradual conquest of Normandy. Rouen, the capital of
northern
> > France,
> >
> > Rouen was never the capital "of Northern France": it is the capital of
> > Normandy.
> >

> The source for this is the Encyclopaedia Brittanica.
> What is your source for opposing it?
> Will

What would be the source for a negative? If I say: "Maddison is the capital
of the Northern USA", what will be the source for opposing it?
I'm French, I know relatively well French history, I don't even see what
"capital of Northern France" can mean. Is there also a "capital of Southern
France" and is this title also awarded by the redactors of Encyclopaedia
Brittanica? It seems that some people here don't understand well what a
source is.

Pierre

This thread: