GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-10 > 1097275967

From: "D. Spencer Hines" <>
Subject: Re: Finis, Back To The Banu Qasi
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 22:52:47 -0000

Good, Chico -- And On Point.

Peter simply doesn't understand the points you are making and willfully
ignores them -- as is obvious.

Bad Form & Bad Show On His Part.

I Expected Far Better From Him.

One of his MAJOR ERRORS is to see everything in terms of Latin
translations into ENGLISH -- while ignoring translations into OTHER
[Romance] Languages.

Further, as you restate and I emphasized before, METAPHORICAL MEANINGS
must be taken into account in this discussion.

DSH

Francisco Antonio Doria" <> wrote in
message news:...

| Just a brief note, which I should have posted earlier
|
| 1) Quicherat, 1869 ed., p. 1160, 2nd column:
|
| superficialiter - Cassiodorus. Superficiellement (au
| figuré).
|
| Now I add: there is always a chance that the intended
| meaning was literal, but the metaphorical meaning must
| be taken into account.
|
| 2) The discussion about non sequitur is... a non
| sequitur ;-))
|
| 3) Portuguese has some very archaic features, and is
| quite close to Latin.
|
| 4) Lat. non has an obscure etimology, for the standard
| derivation (ne + unus/unum) actually led to forms
| still extant today (Port. nenhum, ne + nasalization +
| unum).
|
| And - this has nothing to do with genealogy. I give up
| and will be back to the banu Qasi, a much easier
| subject ;-)))
|
| fa
|
| PS: These deponent verbs have an apparent active
| meaning (stress apparent; the passive meaning is
| clear, as I've said, in some constructions in my
| language). But they are conjugated according to a
| medio-passive ending system.

This thread: