GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-10 > 1097755446

Subject: Albertus Magnus/Albrecht von Bollstadt/Albrecht de Groot
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:04:06 EDT

Dear Listing,

Albertus von Bollstadt was born in 1193 in castle Lauringen, Swabia, on the
Danube River, near the city of Ulm. He is said to be the eldest son of a
knight known as "Count Bollstadt/Bolstat in French." It is thought that there
family name was "de Groot."

Does anyone have anything about his lineage? I believe his family was Dutch
orignally (thus the de Groot). I am presently trying to separate the fact
from the fiction.

I have some material collected on this man at:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/StAlbertMagnus.html

Anyone studied his lineage? I found a coat of arms at:

http://home.att.net/~numericana/arms/
this page is entitled "Escutcheons of Science - Armorial of Scientists -
Numericana"

I found this same arms in ARMORIAL GENERAL by J. B. Rietstap Volume 1 (A-K)
p. 238
under "BOLSTAT" as "Soube/Swabia origin, it describes the buffalo horn of
argent, ornee le long du dos de trois fluers-de-lis of gold, Crest: two prob.
of silver, ordenns chacune a l'ext de three fluer-de-lis.

Margaret Odrowaz-Sypniewska
in Michigan, U.S.A.

This thread: