GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-10 > 1099254590

From: (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: More on King's Kinsfolk
Date: 31 Oct 2004 12:29:50 -0800

Dear Newsgroup ~

As a further update to the current discussion regarding the ancestry
of King Richard II's kinswoman, Margery Bacon, Lady Moleyns (died
1399), I've examined the passage in Complete Peerage 9 (1936): 40 (sub
Moleyns) which identifies Margery Bacon's parentage. It states that
Margery Bacon was the "daughter of Edmund Bacoun, of Norfolk, by his
2nd wife, Margery Poynings, whose heir she was." As we can see, the
parentage of Margery Bacon's mother, Margery de Poynings, is not
stated in the Moleyns account.

Elsewhere, the Poynings account in Complete Peerage mentions Margery
de Poynings' sensational abduction in 1347 by Sir John Dalton and the
murder of her brother, Michael de Poynings, but makes no mention of
her husbands, including Edmund Bacon [Reference: Complete Peerage, 10
(1945): 659, footnote i]. From the information provided, however, it
is clear that Margery de Poynings was the daughter of Sir Michael de
Poynings (died 1314), by his wife, Margery.

Some years ago, I recall seeing information on Margery de Poynings in
the book, Honors and Knights' Fees, by Farrer. Among various effects
found in Margery's belongings either at the time or her abduction or
death, there were personal items which displayed the Poynings arms.
As such, I don't think there is any question that Margery was a
Poynings.

E-mail:

Website: www.royalancestry.net

This thread: