GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-11 > 1100621879

Subject: Re: Scottish Tribes of Jewish Origin
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:17:59 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2004 1:23:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

An occasional royal had red hair. An occasional non-royal had red hair.
I have seen nothing to suggest a pattern. Certainly, prior to the
Tudors, I know of just one English royal reputed to have had red hair.
In fact, it probably was the Tudors having red hair that first gave rise
to this supposed historical association.

Weren't the Plantagenets also noted for red/reddish hair and coloration? I
recall that Foulques I "le Roux" Count of Anjou was nicknamed "leRoux", "the
red". Wouldn't this have thrown a tendency for the trait into the line?

Gordon Hale
Grand Prairie, Texas

This thread: