GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2004-12 > 1102112013

From: (John Brandon)
Subject: English descendants of Rev. Henry-1 Whitfield of Guilford, Connecticut
Date: 3 Dec 2004 14:13:33 -0800

NEHGR, 41:360, is a pedigree chart of the family of Samuel Desborough/
Disbrowe and his wife Dorothy Whitfield, a daughter of the Rev. Henry
Whitfield, who lived for a time in Guilford, Connecticut. By his wife
Dorothy, Samuel Desborough is shown only to have had a son, James, of
Stepney, Middlesex. James is shown with a daughter Elizabeth. I
believe this Elizabeth Desborough married a Mr. Holworthy; and I think
I read someplace, or saw it implied, that she died without issue.

But reading through Samuel Desborough's 1680 will (NEHGR, 41:355-56
[PCC Vere 66]), I see that he gives "my three grand children,
Christopher, Samuel & James Mills, twenty pounds apiece." He also
says that, "I would have my son give my son Mills and my grand
children mourning." The 1698 will of Samuel Desborough's second wife,
Rose--by whom he had no issue--mentions: "my son Christopher Mills
Esq. and his lady," and "my grandson Samuel Mills Esq. and his lady"
(NEHGR, 45:160-61 [PCC Pett 56]).

Romney Sedgwick, ed., _The History of Parliament: The House of
Commons, 1715-1754_, 2:259, is a biography of Samuel Milles (c.
1669-1727), of Herne and Canterbury, Kent, a member of parliament in
the years 1722-27. Samuel Milles is called "o[nly]. surv[iving].
s[on]. of Christopher Milles of Herne by his 2nd w. Sarah, da. of
Samuel Desborough, M.P., of Elsworth, Cambs. _educ._ I. Temple 1686,
called 1693; St. Catherine's, Camb. 1687. m. (lic. 14 Dec. 1692) Anne,
da. of Thomas Hales of Bekesbourne, Kent, sis. of Sir Thomas Hales,
2nd Bt. (q.v.), 6 s[ons]. 6 da[ughters]. _suc._ fa. 1701."

Does anybody know of descendants of this Samuel Milles? Or of
Elizabeth (Desborough) Holworthy, for that matter?

I think Henry Whitfield's son Nathaniel returned to England, as well.

This thread: