GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-01 > 1105099179

From: "Janet Crawford" <>
Subject: Re: An encomium for genealogy
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:59:39 -0000

Bronwen, You have said it exactly right. When researching ancient Irish
genealogy and one bumps into one of the names that are affixed with the term
mythical, one should note that this "person" represents a hard fact on how
the ruling families felt they interconnected politically, hereditarily and
socially but not necessarily geographically. That "person" and the smaller
tribes that fall under "his" genealogy holds valuable clues and should not
be considered as pure garbage; They represent something that should not be
ignored. The marriages, representing connections between the various ruling
families, are also critical, mythical or not. It is quite impossible to
actually come up with a true genealogy for anyone, but one can get a good
idea of who your sept thought they were and how they connected, interacted
and ruled with others, and that is historically fascinating and educational
all by itself. All we have are what is presented as the genealogies of only
the noble families, so we might as well study and learn something from them,
rather than ignoring them by writing them off as myths.

Janet