GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-07 > 1120798825

From: "Douglas Richardson " <>
Subject: Re: C.P. Addition: Willoughby-le Strange-Despenser
Date: 7 Jul 2005 22:00:25 -0700

Dear James ~

Complete Peerage sub Despenser states that there is an ancient pedigree
of the Despenser family in the College of Arms which indicates that the
mother of Sir Philip le Despenser (died 1401) was a le Strange and that
his wife was a Cobham. We know from other sources, however, that Sir
Philip's mother was actually a Cobham, not a le Strange. As such, it's
a good possibility that it was Sir Philip's wife who was a le Strange,
and that the maiden names of the two Despenser wives were inadvertedly
swapped. If so, this could explain Sir Philip le Despenser's
appearance in the 1383 indenture involving the marriage settlement of
Lucy le Strange and William Willoughby.

Clearly, this matter deserves further study.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

wrote:
> Dear Douglas, Peter and others,
> I have been wondering why
> Sir Philip le DeSpencer, Knight of Nettlestead would involve himself so closely
> in the marriage indenture between William Willoughby de Eresby, son and heir
> of Robert Willoughby , 4th Baron Willoughby de Eresby and his wife Margery la
> Zouche (of the Haryngworth Zouches) and Lucy le Strange, daughter of Roger le
> Strange, 5th Baron le Strange of Knockyn , then deceased and his wife Aline de
> Arundel, daughter of Edmund de Arundel, Earl of Arundel and his wife Alice de
> Warenne. The date of the Indenture was January of 1382/ 3. The Philip le
> DeSpencer in question would have been the one born 1342- d August 1401 who
> married an Elizabeth, parents unknown who also died in 1401. Sir Philip`s parents
> were Sir Philip le DeSpencer and Joan, an apparent daughter of John Cobham,
> Baron Cobham. His son and heir Sir Philip would marry Elizabeth Tibetot by
> 1398-1400 (their daughter Margery was aged 24 to 26 years of age at her father`s
> decease in 1424. Elizabeth Tibetot was a granddaughter of Millicent la Zouche
> (of Haryngworth), Lady Deincourt and so a cousin to the Willoughby bridegroom.
> Millicent la Zouche having been a daughter of William la Zouche, 1st Baron
> Zouche of Haryngworth.
> Sources Weis - Sheppard Magna Carta Sureties 1215 lines 74, 9 and SMG
> posts by Douglas Richardson indicating that Robert Willoughby`s wife Margery
> la Zouche rather than Alice Skipwith was mother of William Willoughby, 5th
> Baron Willoughby de Eresby plus the current thread.
> Sincerely,
> James W Cummings
> Dixmont, Maine USA

This thread: