GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-07 > 1122571027

From: "Douglas Richardson " <>
Subject: Re: Rohese, wife of Sir Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England
Date: 28 Jul 2005 10:17:07 -0700
References: <1122485600.891575.105220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <GCEILMENLHOGHNKOOPOOGENFFMAA.ginnywagner@austin.rr.com> <1122535195.126691.220750@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <000301c5934e$e30bca20$0300a8c0@Toshiba> <1122566768.305417.178530@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <1122567258.634628.84770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> <1122568293.367176.119190@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <1122569034.597428.8340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>
In-Reply-To: <1122569034.597428.8340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>

Dear CED ~

It is impossible to have a serious discussion with someone who wishes
to hide in the dark.

So, I'll ask again nicely: What is your first name?

And, please call me Douglas, not by the formal salutation, Mr.
Richardson.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

Website: www.royalancestry.net

CED wrote:
> Douglas Richardson wrote:
> > Dear CED ~
> Dear Mr. Richardson:
> I am of the old school in which formalities are maintained; however,I
> am known, even to my friends, as CED.
> Do did not respond to my request to post primary evidence. To narrow
> my request: what is the primary evidence that Rohese, wife of Richard
> de Lucy, was the sister of Faramus of Boulogne?
> CED
> > Please call me Douglas, not by the formal salutation, Mr. Richardson.
> > We're among friends. What is your first name?
> > Best always. Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
> > Website: www.royalancestry.net
> > CED wrote:
> > > Douglas Richardson wrote:
> > > > Dear Leo ~
> > > >
> > > > Please call me Douglas, not by the formal Richardson.
> > > >
> > > > I know you're confused, Leo. I recommend you review the primary
> > > > evidence regarding Sir Richard de Lucy and Faramus of Boulogne, and
> > > > then get back to me.
> > >
> > > Dear Mr. Richardson:
> > >
> > > I do not find the primary evidence regarding Richard de Lucy and
> > > Faramus of Boulogne in the archives. Could you please post it?
> > >
> > > CED
> > >
> > > >
> > > > For now, I will repeat my statement again: For various reasons, it is
> > > > impossible for Richard de Lucy to have been a brother or half-brother
> > > > of Faramus of Boulogne. I trust that's clear enough for you.
> > > >
> > > > Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
> > > >
> > > > Webite: www.royalancestry.net
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Leo van de Pas" wrote:
> > > > > Richardson dismisses the possibility of Richard de Lucy to be either a
> > > > > brother or half-brother of Faramus and therefor the connection _must be
> > > > > through Godfrey's mother_
> > > > > but how? Full brother or half-brother? If half-brother, who is different?
> > > > > Rohese's father or mother?
> > > > >
> > > > > It appears there is no proof, only assumption.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > > From: <>
> > > > > To: <>
> > > > > Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:01 PM
> > > > > Subject: Re: Rohese, wife of Sir Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > Dear Ginny ~
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thank you for your good post. Much appreciated.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > In answer to your question, Sir Richard de Lucy's younger son, Godfrey
> > > > > > de Lucy, was Bishop of Winchester. As a priest, he would have had no
> > > > > > wife. That being the case, Bishop Godfrey's uncle, Faramus of
> > > > > > Boulogne, would necessarily have been the brother of one of Bishop
> > > > > > Godfrey's parents. For various reasons, it is impossible for Sir
> > > > > > Richard de Lucy to have been a brother or half-brother of Faramus of
> > > > > > Boulogne. As such, the connection between Bishop Godfrey de Lucy and
> > > > > > his uncle, Faramus of Boulogne, would necessarily be through Godfrey's
> > > > > > mother, Rohese.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > For those so interested, I should mention that there are good
> > > > > > biographies of both Sir Richard de Lucy and his son, Bishop Godfrey de
> > > > > > Lucy, in the older version of the DNB. I have not seen the new version
> > > > > > of the DNB, but I assume their biographies are found in that source as
> > > > > > well.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Website: www.royalancestry.net
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Website: www.royalancestry.net"Ginny Wagner" wrote:
> > > > > > < Thank you for such great posts, Mr. Richardson. Appreciate the
> > > > > > < documentation. I didn't see anything about an uncle in the charters
> > > > > > you
> > > > > > < posted; thus, I have a question about:
> > > > > > <
> > > > > > < <(3) that Rohese was the sister of Faramus of
> > > > > > < Boulogne (as indicated by her son, Godfrey's charter naming Faramus
> > > > > > as
> > > > > > < his uncle). >
> > > > > > <
> > > > > > < Have you eliminated the possibility that Godfrey had a spouse who had
> > > > > > an
> > > > > > < uncle Faramus?
> > > > > > <