GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-07 > 1122668340

From: "Douglas Richardson " <>
Subject: Re: Faramus of Boulonge and Richard de Lucy
Date: 29 Jul 2005 13:19:00 -0700

Dear Will ~

We don't know exactly when Faramus of Boulogne was born. All we know
is that he was born in or before 1109, as he was of adult age in or
before 1130. It's doubtful he was born much earlier than 1109, as he
lived until 1183/4. He seems to have moved into administrative
positions by 1141, when he was in joint charge of King Stephen's
household during his captivity. Faramus and his brother-in-law,
Richard de Lucy, witnessed a charter of King Stephen at Canterbury at
Christmas 1141 to Geoffrey de Mandeville. My guess is that Faramus of
Boulogne was born say 1105.

As I've indicated in another post, my best guess for a birthdate of
Rohese of Boulogne is c.1110/1115. I've used four independant measures
to indicate this birth range. These measures appear to be consistent
with one another. If correct, then Rohese was a bit younger than her
brother, Faramus.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

wrote:
> In a message dated 7/29/05 3:15:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> << Assuming Rohese had Godfrey when she was about 40, it
> would place her birth at about 1110, which would fall in the same
> approximate time period as the likely birth of Faramus of Boulogne. >>
>

> How are you deriving a birthyear or such a tight range for Faramus?
> Thanks
> Will Johnson

This thread: