GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-08 > 1124228940

From: "Tony Hoskins" <>
Subject: Umfreville pedigree - Ewell, Surrey and Farnham Royal, Bucks
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:49:00 -0700

I wonder if anyone might be able to help flesh out and solidify the thus
far inadequately examined ancestry of the Umfreville families of Farnham
Royal, Bucks and Ewell, Surrey.

In my article, "The English Origin of John Umfreville of New Haven,
Connecticut" (_The American Genealogist_ 72 (January 1997):15-19), I
cited the rather skeletal lineage of the Ewell, Surrey and Farnham
Royal, Bucks Umfreville families as delineated by Surtees in his _The
History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham_ (1816-40),
vol. 2, pp. 325, 395. Surtees claimed as his authority for this to be
Sir William Segar, Garter King of Arms, c.1710, and was found in
"Philpot's Corrections in the College of Arms".

Gary Boyd Roberts includes this lineage in his _The Royal Descents of
600 Immigrants_ (2004), pp. 530-1.

The sketchy and nearly-bereft-of- dates lineage provided by Surtees
runs down to John Umfreville (1630-aft 1720) of New Haven, Connecticut
in this fashion:

Gilbert de Umfreville, 1st Earl of Angus m. Elizabeth Comyn
Robert de Umfreville, 2nd Earl of Angus m. Eleanor de Clare
Thomas de Umfreville m. Joan de Rodham
Sir Robert de Umfreville = (mistress)
William Umfreville (illeg.) m. ---
William Umfreville m. ---
Andrew Umfreville m. ---
Roger Umfreville m. --- Luddington
Gervase Umfreville m. Katherine Digby
John Umfreville m. ---
John Umfreville (1630-aft 1720), of Ewell, Surrey and New Haven, CT
--------
Any thoughts or information would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Anthony Hoskins
History, Genealogy and Archives Librarian
History and Genealogy Library
Sonoma County Library
3rd and E Streets
Santa Rosa, California 95404