GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-08 > 1124510956

From: Louise Staley <>
Subject: Re: Agnes Arundel
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:09:16 GMT

Dame Ros = Margaret Arundel wife of Sir William Ros 6th Baron Ros of
Helmsley

Dame Brien = Joan Arundel wife of Sir William Byan of Kemsing, Kent, she
m2 Sir William Echyngham

Margaret and Joan are daughters of Sir John Arundel 1st Baron Arundel
and his wife Eleanor Maltravers Baroness Maltravers de jure. She m2 Sir
Reynold Cobham 2nd Baron Cobham of Sterborough

I must disagree with Leo. I don't think the Margaret Cobham in question
is Margaret Courtenay, wife of Sir John Cobham K.G., 3rd Baron Cobham.
She had died in 1395.

Margaret Cobham is possibly, Margaret Cobham, daughter of Sir Reynold
Cobham and Eleanor Maltravers above who (according to DR in PA3 Cobham:
10) married Reginald Curteys but may still have been single at the time
of the will.

I believe Agnes, widow of Sir William Arundel K.G., is referring to her
sisters-in-law in her will and therefore her identity is still unknown.

regards
Louise

Leo van de Pas wrote:
> This is a wonderful wildgoose chase---- I haven't given up as yet :-)
>

> I have a great book on the Knights of the Garter and knight nr 86 is Sir
> William Arundel became a KG about 1395 and died in 1400. He is a younger
> son of John Arundel Baron Mautravers and Eleanor Mautravers.
>
> "A" Margaret Cobham is daughter of Hugh de Courtenay, 2nd Earl of Devon
> and she has (see my website) a string of sisters for whom I do not have
> husbands (as yet).
>
> I have to go out for a while but I do like tlo try and find out more.
> Sadly, Burke's Extinct Peerage 1866 does mention Sir William Arundel KG
> but does not indicate a wife.
>
> Best wishes
> Leo van de Pas
> http://www.genealogics.org