GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-09 > 1125671652

From: "John Brandon" <>
Subject: Re: Index to Visitations
Date: 2 Sep 2005 07:34:12 -0700

wrote:
> Perhaps this is naive, but as a librarian, I must ask. Is there (I'm
> sure there's not) a comprehensive index to families in published
> visitations? If not, why has no one done this?
>
> I recently discovered a 1618 marriage for ancestor in Hampshire that
> names his wife as Mary Gardiner, daughter of Christopher Gardiner.
> There are no Gardiners in the Hampshires Visitations (both old and
> new). So where next? She married Thomas Dowse, a gentleman, so
> chances are her father was a gentleman also.
>
> It would be helpful to see an index to see if any other Gardiner
> families are mentioned in any other visitation.

Would this be the Mary Gardener, daughter of Christofer, baptized 3
August 1596 at St. Martin's, Salisbury (as per extracted IGI)?

There was a scandalous person by the name of Christopher Gardiner in
early New England (though presumably not identical with the father of
Mrs Mary Dowse). I remember thinking at one point that he might be the
same person mentioned in Leslie Hotson's book _Shakespeare Versus
Shallow_, a biography of Justice William Gardiner of Bermondsey and
Southwark, possibly (Hotson speculates) the inspiration for one of
Shakepeare's characters. See

http://www.bookmaven.net/si/4400.html

This thread: