GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-11 > 1131659982

From: "John Higgins" <>
Subject: Re: The Merlay-Somerville-Griffith descent
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:59:42 -0800

This is an interesting and useful descent...thanks for posting it. If this
is an example of what's coming in the "baronial descents" volume, it should
be an interesting book.

FWIW, a possible addition:

One of Carl Boyer's recent books (probably the one on Welsh ancestors of
Americans) cites Bartrum and says that Sir Rhys I ap Griffith (d. 1356) had
at least two other children with descendants of interest to Americans: a
son Gruffudd and a daughter Margred, both of whose descendants are traced
further by Boyer.

Bartrum, of course, screwed up the marriages of Sir Rhys I and Sir Rhys II,
assigning Isabel de Stackpole to the father rather than the son. Boyer
doesn't catch this error and so he may not be reliable as to the placement
of the children. But it's something that may be worth looking into for
possible American descents....