GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-11 > 1131871172

Subject: Re: John de Offord +1349
Date: 13 Nov 2005 00:39:32 -0800

schrieb:

> writes:
>
> >Stirnet, which cites CP and Burke's Extinct Peerage, makes John de
> >Offord a brother of Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk.
>
> Are you sure Stirnet is citing CP for this specific connection?
> My one gripe with Stirnet is that in the majority of cases, they do not
> assign each fact to a citation but merely lump their citations at the end of what
> could be pages of connections and facts.
> Will Johnson

No, as noted Stirnet cites both CP and BEP for its Ufford half-page.
As you say, this indicates that their stemma in toto came from the two
sources referred to, but does not identify which single 'facts' came
from which source.

Because they do not normally cite more than three or four sources, I
find it's not usually too difficult to go to those sources myself,
using Stirnet as a guide or quick reference.

MAR

This thread: