GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-11 > 1132573038

From: "Chris Phillips" <>
Subject: Re: Merlay-Somerville-Griffith descent from King William the Lion of Scotland
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:37:18 -0000

Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:
> Here goes:

I've added a few attempts to fill in the gaps

> Above the tomb is a aquare with these words in it:
>
> This Stately tombe of Mibba ... This is a picture of Sir Walter
> Griffith knight & Joan Neuill his wife no 3 (?) there [their] young
> sonne and daughter who (?) died ... tender years is yet ... ...
> Burton.

Could it be a tombe "of Alabastre" or something like that? Then possibly
"wth th ... picture"?

After "his wife" I reckon "wth there yonge sonne & doughter wch died in
there tender yeres is yet in this forme to be seene in [?]the church of
A[nn]eys Burton"

> Now for the pedigree, starting with Sir Joh Griffith and his wife
> Katherin, all in squares rther than the circles of the original:
>
> (As ever, ensure you have set your font to fixed, eg Courier.)
>

> _______________________ ______________________
> | | | |
> | Sr John Griffith of | | Katherin daughter of |
> | ??? and Anneys Barton | | Sir Robert Tyrwyrthe |
> | Knight died in the 20 | | of Kenellry in the |
> | of June 11 Ed 4 in |======| Countye of Linclone |
> | the yeare of Christ | | | Knight. She died in |
> | 1471 | | | ye yeare of Christ |
> | | | | 1457 (?) |
> |_______________________| | |______________________|

I think Sir John is of "Wichnor" [Wychnor, Staffs] and Tyrwyrthe is of
"Kettelby".

> (Arms of Griffith impaling those of Tyrwyrthe)
> |
> ___________________________________|
> | |
> | |
> | |
> __|_____________ _______________ _|_______________ _______________
> | | | | | | |

> | Margaret dau- | | Jane daughter | | Sr Walter Grif- | | Agnes daugh-
|
> | ghter of Sr | | of Raphe Neu- | | fith of Anneys | | ter of Sr
Rob-|
> | John Griffith | | ille Knight |=| Burton in York- |=| ert Constable
|=
> | married to Rob-| | and of his | | shire died in | | of Flamborowe
|
> | ert Willoughbye| | wife Marye | | the Twentye one | | Knight after
|
> | of Wollantone | | daughter of | | yeare of King | | married to Sr
|
> | in Nottingham- | | Joane Countess| | Edward ye 4 in | | Gervase Clif-
|
> | shire Knight | | of Westmorland| | ye yeare of | | tone Knight
|
> | 29.H.6 in ye | | Daughter of | | Christ 1481 on | | being his
sec-|
> | yeare of Christ| | John of Gaunt | | ye 9 of August | | ond wife.
Shee|

> This Agnes died
> ye 23 of January
> in ye yeare of
> Christ 1505
> and ...

Just a couple of fussy points for Margaret's text - I think her husband is
"Willughbye of Wollatone".

Chris Phillips

This thread: