GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-12 > 1134313367

From: "Douglas Richardson" <>
Subject: Re: Count Roger of Poitou
Date: 11 Dec 2005 07:02:47 -0800

Round correctly translated the Latin "Rogerus comes pictavensis" into
English as "Roger Count of Poitou." Whether Roger was actually Count
of Poitou is immaterial.

I note that Kathleen Thompson, on the other hand, has translated this
same text to read "Earl Roger the Poitevin." It is inapproriate to
call Roger an earl, as Roger was a French count, not an English earl.

I elsewhere find that Thompson has translated the Latin word "amicis"
as "friends," whereas the correct translation should be "kinsfolk." In
his own work, I note that Round translated the Latin word "amicis" as
"kinsfolk," when used in this manner.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

This thread: