GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-12 > 1134440294

Subject: Re: The parentage of Orm Fitz Ketel (living 1094)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:18:14 EST

In a message dated 12/12/05 6:08:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

<< Roger the Poitevin, indeed, can scarcely have been old enough to carry
conquest into a disturbed region before about 1080 (Anglo-Norman England
1066-1166 : Marjorie Chibnall)
In 1094 Roger encouraged the abbot of the Benedictine abbey of St. Martin at
Seez in Normandy to send a handful of monks to found a daughter house at
Lancaster. Roger endowed this priory handsomely. He gave it part of the
township of Lancaster, several small estates in Lonsdale and Amounderness
and the revenues of a dozen churches in Lancashire and the Midlands. (History of
Lancashire : J.J. Bagley)
In 1090 he fought with his brother, Robert de Belleme against Hugh de
Grentemesnil, but when he and his brother sided with Duke Robert of Normandy
against Duke Robert's brother, Henry I of England in 1102 he was deprived of
his earldom and expelled from England. On his expulsion from England, Roger
retired to the castle of Charroux in the county of La Marche-Limousine
having succeeded to the title of Count of La Marche on the death of his
brother-in-law." >>

I'm not seeing anything here to indicate 1005 for the Roger who d 1094
In fact rather, if his son was "scarely old enough" in 1080 to "carry
conquest into a disturbed area", this should speak to his father being a bit younger
than 75 years old at this time. Right?

While it's true that a man could have children into his 60s presumably, I'm
not sure we can determine that Roger was one of these types of men.

That is why I asked what your source for the 1005 year is, I'd discount it
and say he was born maybe 1000 to 1020 probably more toward the latter end of
this as he was having children for a while.

This thread: