GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-04 > 1144438568

Subject: Update to genealogics: Samuel Desborough
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:36:08 EDT

On Leo's great website here
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00116754&tree=LEO

we see John Desborough bap 13 Nov 1608
who married Jane Cromwell, sister of the Protector

From this link
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:yF62VNs4ZyUJ:www.dinsdoc.com/wright-1-3.ht
m+%22john+winthrop+jr%22+%22hugh+peter%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Author: Wright, Thomas Goddard.
Title: Literary Culture in Early New England, 1620-1730.
Citation: New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press; London: Humphrey Milford,
Oxford University Press, 1920.

We get the factoid that: "Samuel Desborough, the first magistrate of
Guilford, Connecticut, returned to England and became, under Cromwell, Lord Keeper of
the Great Seal of Scotland. His brother John had married Cromwell’s sister
Jane.(footnote 13)"

Footnote 13 states : Dictionary of National Biography.

Which isn't too terribly helpful but I would assume he means the entry for
Desborough, Samuel although I haven't seen it yet.

Anyone know if Samuel Desborough had any marriages or children?

Thanks
Will Johnson

This thread: