GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-05 > 1147150385

From: "Douglas Richardson" <>
Subject: Re: SP Addition: ancestry of Elizabeth de Caldcotis (and Livingston of Kilsyth)
Date: 8 May 2006 21:53:05 -0700

Dear John ~

I found a book on the Tweedie family this evening at the following
weblink which you might find helpful:

http://www.tweedie.com/TweedieBook.pdf

This book, pg. 38, places Elizabeth de Tweedy, wife of Richard Brown,
as the daughter of the Walter de Tweedy, who occurs in the period,
1416-1435. In agreement with the arrangement I presented in my last
post, Elizabeth de Tweedy is specifically called the sister of James de
Tweedy, son and heir of Walter de Tweedy. On pg. 38, it is reported
that in 1436 James de Tweedy was "appointed as bailie by his uncle, Sir
James Douglas, Lord of Dalkeith, for the purpose of infefting in
Hartree, Richard Brown who married Elizabeth de Tweedie, James' sister
and niece of Sir James."

As stated above, Elizabeth de Tweedy's father, Walter de Tweedy, occurs
in the period, 1416-1435. As such, he is not likely to have been the
father of your Christian de Tweedy, wife of William de Caldecote. The
Tweedie Book shows that this Walter de Tweedy's son and heir, James,
was dispensed to marry in 1420, whereas by your conjecture, Christian
de Tweedy had a daughter, Elizabeth de Caldecote, who was dispensed to
marry in 1421. Chronologically then, Walter de Tweedy, living
1416-1435, would thus be the same generation as Christian (de Tweedy)
de Caldecote, living 1425, especially since their respective children
married within a year of each other.

As best I can tell, there is insufficient evidence to indicate if
Walter de Tweedy, living 1416-1435, was a brother of Christian (de
Tweedy) de Caldecote, living 1425.

Website: www. royalancestry. net

This thread: