GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-05 > 1147380068

Subject: Re: C.P. Correction: Birthdate of Margaret Butler, wife of William Boleyn, K.B.
Date: 11 May 2006 13:41:08 -0700

"Clagett, Brice" schrieb:

> Several recent postings in this thread say that Queen Elizabeth I's
> maternal
> grandparents were Sir William Boleyn and Margaret Butler. This is of
> course
> erroneous. The Queen's maternal grandparents were Thomas Boleyn, Earl
> of Ormonde and Wiltshire, and Elizabeth Howard. Earl Thomas was the son
> of Sir William and Margaret (Butler) Boleyn.

These postings have now been curiously edited away, which would make
Brice's comment itself seem erroneous, if it weren't for the extracted
quotes from the original posts in some of the replies. I always feel
uncomfortable seeing posts edited or removed in this way (while
sympathising with the desire to maintain accuracy) because it tampers
with the historical record that the newsgroup's archives constitute.

This thread: