GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-05 > 1147384011

From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <>
Subject: Re: C.P. Correction: Birthdate of Margaret Butler, wife of William Boleyn, K.B.
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 22:46:51 +0100

In message of 11 May, wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/06 1:50:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> writes:
>
> > I always feel uncomfortable seeing posts edited or removed in this
> > way (while sympathising with the desire to maintain accuracy)
> > because it tampers with the historical record that the newsgroup's
> > archives constitute.
>

> Yes and no. The original posts to GEN-MEDIEVAL-L are archived as
> well. So editing postings in google groups or soc-med or wherever,

You cannot edit posts in soc.med. The way Usenet works is to that each
Internet News Server calls for copies of all postings from other
(or some other) servers. So when you post on one server, copies of it
are made round the known universe. Then the punters read their chosen
local news server and get a copy of one of those copies. Eventually,
perhaps after a month or so, the various servers delete the old
postings, though each can hold them for different lengths of time.

So there are no editing facilities for soc-med.

> doesn't actually remove all traces. Will Johnson

What you can do is to hold copies of all posts yourself, thus making
your own local archive. This is all that Google used to do - and one
or two other organisations if I remember rightly.

(I've left out the interaction with Rootsweb but then we all seem to be
gathering that Rootsweb has the more authentic archive.)

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org

This thread: