GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-09 > 1159108191

From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: RE: use of word, "pretender"
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:29:51 -0400

Actually, definition 3 is pretty close (the Oxford definitions are more helpful
than those in my Webster's unabridged). Thank you for sharing them.

The context here is contemporary. I didn't want to "name names" because it
would undoubtedly shift the discussion to the validity of the claim, which would
be off topic for GEN-MEDIEVAL. But I figured if there was any group that
understood the meaning of the word, "pretender," it would be the subscribers to
this list, so I very much appreciate everyone's input.

And the bottom line appears to be that I will go with "usurper." Pretender is
too "mild" for the situation.

Diana

This thread: