Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2007-09 > 1189796899

From: Christopher Ingham <>
Subject: Re: Anna of Arimathea - who is HER husband?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:08:19 -0700

On Sep 14, 2:31 pm, Hovite <> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 6:24 pm, Christopher Ingham
> > No persons referred to above are mentioned in near-contemporary, non-
> > biblical sources, except Jesus (Joseph._AJ_28.3).
> "This note is either inauthentic or so extravagantly interpolated that
> it can no longer be presented as credible evidence"
> A. Schweitzer: "The Quest of the Historical Jesus", page 359.
> He cited the the passage as "Antt. 18, 3, 3" so I'm not entirely sure
> this is the same reference. Anyway, the paragraph he quoted is very
> obviously a later insertion by a Christian.
> Besides Josephus, the earliest sources are Tacitus, Suetonius, and
> Pliny, all from about 100 AD. They are all somewhat hostile, and
> therefore their comments are more likely to be genuine.

Yes, the passage is 18.3.3 from_Antiquities_. The authenticity of the
passage is under question but not outright dismissed, except for the
latter part containing the_testimonium_, "He was the messiah."
Josephus, living in Rome and writing to please a Roman audience,
certainly would not have made such a statement.

Christopher Ingham

This thread: