GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2007-10 > 1192767134

Subject: Re: Middleton pedigree, 1100-1600: Leeke and Peck
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:12:14 EDT

<<In a message dated 10/18/2007 8:25:36 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

Sorry about the faux pas. I leave it for others to clean up the *AF*
dating mess: despite their disclaimers.>>

-----------------------------------
It's very unlikely the Ancestral File at _www.familysearch.org_
(http://www.familysearch.org) will ever be cleaned up. They simply do not have the
methodology in place to do that.

OneWorldTree at _www.ancestry.com_ (http://www.ancestry.com) is an attempt
toward a clean-up but I'm still not quite sure if it's going to pass muster.
The way OneWorldTree is supposed to work is that the computer *attempts* to
put families together, and then humans and supposed-to, over time, slowly
correct it's errors and gradually get a "best-of-class" due to the thousands of
eyes watching and fixing it.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of confidence that that will happen in the
way it was supposed. What is more likely to happen is that the errors will
multiply far faster than the correct details, and people will then have yet
another on-line database to cite as their foundational source, when it's really
a house-of-cards.

The Henry Project is probably the best-of-class in terms of its intent, but
it builds very slowly. Every fact however is backed with very firm sources
and good scholarship. It's doubtful there are many people who have the kind
of time that requires to mimic it.

Will Johnson